Official Logo of Brantford Golf & Country Club


Since 1879, Brantford Golf and Country Club has stood apart as one of Canada’s great member clubs.


James Darling introduces game to Brantford in 1873, only a few games are played before he moves to Halifax.


Brantford Golf Club is formed and regular play takes place at Vinegar Hill common. This site would be between the current streets of Colbourne, Alfred and Murray.


The club moves to Terrance Hill (location of current hospital), but the location is abandoned shortly after.


The club moves to part of Arrowdale, but once again moves shortly after. This was the first effort to establishing formal putting greens and hazards. The first caretaker was hired to cut fairways and greens.


The next location was ‘Glenmount’ located east of West Street and Henry.


The club moved to the current site that was donated by EL Cockshutt was part of estate. The club formally organized under the name Brantford Golf & Country Club. Clubhouse built for $7,000.


Brantford and Lake Erie Railroad Company (CPR subsidiary) went to Supreme Court over damage to course by new rail line. “The railway runs through the property cutting off Nos. 7, 8 and 9 greens.” The club received $9,240 and indicated it would use the money to improve the course and clubhouse.


Work undertaken to lengthen and improve the Brantford Golf Links. The new plans call for a course of 3,100 yards: “Many holes lengthened and bunkers to be redone. … Nichol Thompson, the well-known Hamilton golf architect and professional is superintending the work which is a guarantee off excellence plus.”


Brantford votes to purchase 60 acres of land, which will allow for the extension to 18 holes.


Reports on the work suggest, “Next season will see a full 18-holes in play. Some changes will be made to the old nine holes, while the new nine planned by George Cumming and Nicol Thompson have all been laid out and the greens seeded down. The construction work has most skillfully be done by the firm of Thompson, Cumming and Thompson. A very sporting course is this 18-hole course on the banks of the Grand River.”


Ontario Women’s Amateur played at Brantford and the club burns its mortgage at the annual meeting, signifying it had no debt.


Robbie Robinson presents a renovation plan before the General Meeting in 1960. “In addition to new route plan I would provide modern designs to replace all the present greens which are small, flat and uninteresting,” Robinson said. Robinson’s plan is approved by members.


Robinson starts construction on a project that cost $15,000.


Canadian Men’s Amateur played at Brantford for Centennial.


At meeting regarding hosting the Canadian Open, Dick Grimm of RCGA advised the club: The course and clubhouse were conducive to hosting a Canadian Open.


Brantford hosts the CPGA Championship.


Brantford opens new clubhouse.


Renovation of course under the direction of Rod Whitman and Keith Cutten commences.

“Brantford feels like classic, country golf . . . as if you’ve been transplanted to years long lost—everything about the course is understated and underrated.”

—Canadian Golf Magazine